ADVANTAGES TO THE ENVIORENMENT AND OUR HEALTH
WHY EAT RED MEAT?
The Australian Dietary guidelines recommend 3-4 red meat meals per week.
WHY IS RED MEAT GOOD FOR YOU?
Red Meat provides
Protein - Red meat is a high quality protein which provides all the essential amino acids for growth and development.
Iron - Red meat is the richest source of dietary iron, important for energy levels and concentration.
Zinc -Required for a healthy immune system and wound healing.
Vitamin B12 -Needed for a healthy nervous system essential for concentration and memory.
Long Chain Omega 3 fats
- Red meat is the second best source of Omega 3’s next to fish, these fats are important for a healthy heart.
Selenium - This is an antioxidant which maintains the immune system.
Vitamin D - For healthy bones.
Vitamin E - A powerful antioxidant combating heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY MEAT.
1. We won the Lachlan Catchment Management Area “Carbon Farmer of the Year Award” for 2008. This award recognizes our achievements in working to improve the environment on Dairy Park.
2. Our sheep and cattle are grass fed, raised on sustainable pastures. Using the time controlled grazing principals of Holistic Management we are able to improve the soil health, by utilizing animal impact and their wastes to provide natural fertilizers we avoid the use of artificial fertilizers and other chemical applications.
Grass fed animals are more environmentally friendly as they do not require as many inputs as grain fed animals and they do not need to be transported as far.
Grant and Liz came first in the 2008 Carbon Farmer of the Year Award for the Lachlan Catchment Management Area. This means that we have a much lower carbon emissions than other farmers in the Lachlan River Catchment area, therefore our food is produced with a smaller environmental foot print.
GRASS FED BEEF and LAMB.
What are the advantages of Grass fed over grain fed meat?
- Grass is the animals natural food.
- Grass fed animals have a better life not having to live in cramped feed lot yards.
- Grass fed meat has better flavor.
- Grass fed animals have less risk of disease and parasitic infestations than fed lot animals due to their living conditions therefore grass fed animals need less or no inputs of antibiotic or worm treatments.
- Nutritional research has shown that grass fed animals are 4 times higher in Omega 3 fats ( the good fats) and have lower levels of Omega 6 fats ( the bad fats) than their grain fed counterparts. Grass fed animals are also higher in Vitamin E and have 70% less saturated fat then grain fed animals making grass fed meat healthier.
- Grass fed animals are fitter than grain fed animals as a result their meat may not be as soft, however grass fed meat has a greater flavor and texture and chewing of meat brings out the true flavour and it will not require spicing up or sauces to enhance the flavor.